-Fixed Fees | No Hidden Charges-


Sultan Lloyd Family & Immigration Solicitors Blog & News

Welcome to Sultan Lloyd Solicitors' latest news section. This section provides you with the latest news and developments in the field of Immigration Law, Family Law and Human Rights and Asylum Law. Also, you can download our newsletter bulletin from the sub-menu on the right hand side of this page. It keeps you up to date with the latest legal news and developments throughout the UK.

Everything You Need To Know About Permanent Residence Cards and Registration Certificates

Everything You Need To Know About Permanent Residence Cards and Registration Certificates

Regardless of the outcome of the EU Referendum vote, the debate had at times been vicious. According to Professor Michael Dougan, the University of Liverpool Law Lecturer and EU expert, whose speech heavily criticised the information being given to the public by campaigners from both sides; many of the Leave campaigns arguments were at worst, dishonest and at best, often greatly mistaken.

The tone of the campaign has put a bitter taste in the mouths of many EEA-nationals residing in the UK, and understandably so. One anonymous German writer penned a column in a recent edition of The Guardian newspaper, stating that for the first time in 18 years, he did not feel welcome in Britain.

In response to the uncertainty surrounding the campaign, there has been a huge influx of applications for Permanent Residence cards (PRC) or Registration Certificates (RC). We anticipate that following some of the comments made by Leave supporters during the debates, interest in acquiring RC and PR cards will not diminish for some time.

In this article we aim to provide you with the information you need to know about obtaining PR cards for both you and your dependents.

What is the difference between a Registration Certificate and a Permanent Residence Card?

A RC is a certificate that can be used by residence of the EEA and Switzerland as proof that they are entitled to live in another EU country (including the UK) under European Law. A RC does not confer rights on the holder, it merely confirms rights that they already possess as a ‘qualified person’ exercising treaty rights.

A PRC can only be obtained after a citizen of the EEA or Switzerland has been living and exercising treaty rights in the UK for a period of five years or more.

What is a Qualified Person (QP) for the purposes of obtaining and RC or a PRC?

Contrary to popular belief, EEA nationals cannot simply enter the UK and demand to live as a British citizen. To remain in the country longer than three months, an EEA national must be a ‘qualified person’.

To be a ‘qualified person’ an individual must be:

  • working
  • self-employed
  • a student
  • supporting themselves without accessing public funds

Jobseekers may have a limited right to remain in the UK over three months.

Can I apply as a ‘family member’?

Yes, certain family members are entitled to live in the UK with an EEA national.  Under EEA law, only the following are family members:

  • the spouse of the EEA national
  • children and grandchildren below the age of 21 of either the EEA national or the spouse
  • dependent parents or grandparents of either the EEA national or the spouse
What is the situation regarding ‘extended family members’?

In some cases, ‘extended family members’ can apply for a RC. An extended family member is defined as a:

  • brother or sister
  • cousin
  • aunt or uncle
  • niece or nephew

To qualify they must:

  • have lived in the same house as you before and after coming to the UK; or
  • have a serious medical condition that means you need to manage their personal care
Can I apply for a RC as an ‘unmarried partner?’

Yes, but you must show that you are in a lasting relationship with the EEA national when you apply.

Do I need to apply for a PRC?

An EEA citizen automatically acquires PR rights after living in the UK for five years, as long as they are exercising their treaty rights during that time. However, from 12th November 2015, if a person with PR wishes to apply for British citizenship he or she will have to first apply for a PRC. This change is introduced by the British Nationality (General) (Amendment No. 3) Regulations 2015.

Can I lose my PR status?

PR will be lost if you are absent from the UK of more than two consecutive years. PR can also be revoked if the revocation is justified on grounds of public policy, public security or public health, and, following amendments which came into force from 1 January 2014, abuse of rights.

Sultan Lloyd Solicitors have the experience and expertise required to successfully advise individuals and their families on obtaining a Registration Certificate, Permanent Residence card and/or British Citizenship.

Divorce is Devastating For A Mother’s Financial Fu...
Sultan Lloyd Offers Advice to EU Citizens in the L...

Online Enquiry

Our Success Stories

In the course of delivering excellent service to best serve the individual cases, we have emerged successful in a number of cases.

Here is the list

Read our latest blogs

Love conquers all; except the UK visa system. Every year, many couples endure forced separation because one party cannot obtain a UK Spouse visa. During her time in as Home Secretary, Theresa May to...
When a couple divorce, emotions can run rampant. Even if both parties vow to be as ‘amicable as possible’ and ‘get on for the sake of the children’, anger, frustration and bitterness can spill over. ...
EU citizens residing in the UK are worried. They are right to be so. The referendum result is an emotional upheaval. But politics is one thing and law another. At Sultan Lloyd we understand the fe...


'My friends, the Patel family, were referred to Harminder Meht of Sultan Lloyd in September 2013.  We met Harminder when circumstances were very challenging and Harminder explained the available options very clearly, helpfully and with evident empathy and understanding.  Thereafter she and her colleagues helped us at every step including securing legal aid despite the fact that a previous solicitor had not identified that this was possible. Harminder was instrumental in securing the release from detention of one member of the family and following a difficult judicial review process she obtained a Home Office decision that allows the family leave to remain in the UK, to work and study here for the next 30 months. We are all delighted with Harminder and Sultan Lloyd and we are very happy to recommend Harminder and Sultan Lloyd to future users of their services.'

-- Alasdair Denton

'With a track record of involvement in all kinds of business and private applications, Country Guidance cases, judicial reviews and appeals to the Court of Appeal, Sultan Lloyd have expertise both in publicly funded work and commercial immigration, making them one of the outstanding immigration specialists in the Midlands.'

-- Mark Symes, Counsel at Garden Court Chambers, London

'I have been instructed by Messrs SL for a number of years and in various asylum and immigration matters. The firm has always provided a friendly and professional service and is dedicated to achieving the most favourable outcome for their clients. The staff is both efficient and courteous and offers a valuable service to vulnerable clients. I would rate the firm as amongst the very best in this area of law, proven by their many reported cases. I would wholeheartedly recommend this firm to anyone seeking representation in an asylum or immigration case.'
-- Issac Maka, Counsel, London

'As one of SL's ex clients, I can say that they worked very accurately and hard on my case. They also used very good quality interpreters.'
-- Ismail Mohammed Nazhad, Ex asylum client, Birmingham

'SL is a very trustworthy and reliable firm, helping those people seeking asylum. I hope they continue working in this way.'

-- Kurdo Rezaie, Ex asylum client, Birmingham

'. . . a reliable, efficient firm. They explained things very clearly and did exactly what they said they would. I was really impressed with their friendly and efficient service.'-- Miss N Osman, Birmingham